Thursday, June 25, 2009

Week 4: Blog 1

Chapter 7: Authenticity

In describing the notion of authenticity, the text points out that the younger generation has propelled this movement towards creating cohesiveness between private and public identities. I think there are several reasons for this. For one, this generation of young adults are the children of baby-boomers, whose parenting approach varied greatly from that of their parents during the 50's and 60's. Children of the 80's were encouraged by their parents to be individuals, and nurtured through the process of self-discovery. As adults entering the work force, we see no reason to be anything but authentic and true to our personal, or private, identities.

In addition to our upbringing, I think online social networking
has blurred the line between private and personal identities even more. With the ability to access these networks anytime anywhere, we have a 24/7 outlet for our personal expression. We no longer have to wait till we get home to be our true selves when we can tweet our private thoughts and update our facebook status from any computer or cell phone. Just having an online profile means that at any given point throughout the day, anyone can see that profile and interact with our private identity by reading a post, quiz result, "My top 5's", looking at pictures, or anything we might post online about ourselves. Essentially, social networking has allowed us to "be ourselves" at all times, even when we may not be actually performing that identity.

4 comments:

  1. I think that is a great observation about authenticity. Indeed, I think it is that we are a product of our ever-loving, free thinking baby-boomers and today's magnificent technology whereas we are able to cross communication barriers and be more "natural" communicators. Along with our upbringing, because not everyone had such a pleasant one, I also think that the state of our economy has brought about a more "authentic" tone in our voices and attitudes that, even though harsh, is appreciated by many who do not wish to be "bullshitted" anymore. I, personally, love it when we do not have to censor what we are really thinking, at the same time being mindful of others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a great point about the link between your public and private identities. Unfortunately, our generation has not created boundries on what to post online and what should not be transmitted there. Some may say that everything goes, but I think there should be some boundries.

    When I read your blog, it reaminded me of a woman I used to know that posted pictures of her and her significant other on her MySpace profile and it seemed as though they were perfect and unfortunately I knew the couple. Her MySpace profile was definately not authentic and I would even say it was far from the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure if this is a separate idea or if it builds on what you were already saying with different parenting approaches, but I also believe that the increase in authentic people might also be because we are an ever increasing tolerant community. Mind you there are still many people who feel strongly different, but I think that you could say with quite certainty that the world has become more open-minded over the years, and I think it will only get more and more so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you about online networking. I actually think it's gotten a bit out of hand. I just don't think that people really are being authentic all of the time. When you can sit there and perfect all of your little musings of the day, and make them as funny/smart/interesting as possible, how real can we be? Sometimes I wonder if I'm being real. I also have friends whose profiles really don't match what I know them to be like.

    ReplyDelete